Wednesday 24th February 2021 – Jodi Ann Bickley & One Million Lovely Letters

If you know me well then you'll probably already have an idea of what this blog post is about. But please bear with me and keep reading. 


In 2014, a woman named Jodi Ann Bickley wrote my all-time favourite book: One Million Lovely Letters. I re-read the book every time I feel sad and could do with a reminder that I'm not alone and that the words of a stranger can lift you out of the darkest places. 

One Million Lovely Letters has taught me the importance of words. It has taught me the value of being kind to everyone. And it has taught me that so many of us are struggling and just want a little bit of reassurance. Sometimes, we lose our way in life, and it can be overwhelming and scary. But if we reach out to someone, they can often help us realise what wonderful things we have achieved, and make whatever we're going through feel a little less daunting. It's always nice to know you have someone by your side.

Since reading One Million Lovely Letters, I've wanted to follow in Jodi Ann Bickley's steps and leave a sprinkle of kindness wherever I go. Every now and then, I leave a little note somewhere. A couple of times, I've left one in an aeroplane magazine. Once I stuck a post-it on a signpost at university with the words 'be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire'. And, in my first year at university, I used to leave post-it notes on my flatmates' doors with the idea being that whenever they walked into their room, they would be able to read some gentle and loving words.

I've also been given Jodi Ann Bickley's second book, Write A Letter, which has encouraged me, even more, to write letters to people that I know and to strangers. And, last year, on my birthday, a few friends and I went to the National Archives in Richmond as there was an exhibition on love letters. It was so wonderful and refreshing to read these letters. There was also a little area in the corner that had been created by Jodi Ann Bickley, where you could write your own love letter, send one to Jodi, or shred it. It might have been my favourite part!

I think we've forgotten the worth of writing letters. Getting a handwritten letter is such a special occasion and it should be something that we treasure forever. Someone has decided to lay bare all their thoughts and emotions on a piece of paper that you can keep forever. It could be picked up, hundreds of years from now, and still cherished by the reader. Texts are not the same. They'll disappear and just stay online, wherever they're stored. 

I have always turned to writing to work through thoughts and feelings. Even now, I write letters to people that I don't intend on ever sending. Writing these letters leaves me with a good feeling as I can say all that I need to, without being interrupted or feeling guilty. It clears up my mind and allows me to let go of the situation.   


Throughout the pandemic, mental health has become more important and prominent than ever. Lots of us are struggling. Here are some important things to remember: be kind to yourself. Drink lots of water, go out for a walk, try to get a good night's sleep. Talk to people. Reach out and tell someone how you're feeling. Or ask someone else how they're feeling. They might be feeling lonely too. 

Just because love letters aren't the most common way to keep in touch with someone, doesn't mean you can't write your own. It also doesn't give you an excuse for not staying in touch.

Reach out to people. Say a few kind words. Listen to them and provide support where you can. We could all do with a lot more love these days, so please, share it when and where you can. 



Comments

Popular Posts